Now that you have your little one with you, you are all set to enjoy the fast-paced life of being a mommy. While pregnancy gave you your best gift ever, your little one, it also gave you something you may not be as fond of; that additional pregnancy weight you hate.
Of course, it is natural that you want to shed your pregnancy weight, but make sure you do it the right way. Instead of going on a crash diet, which can harm your baby’s breastfeeding chances and also cause health complications, it is better to try and reduce weight more naturally and safely. And, if you would like to look at some ways in which you can lose weight after your pregnancy, do read on. Because here, Momjunction has compiled the top 20 tips that will help lose weight after pregnancy, without affecting your health.
Here Are The 20 Useful Tips For Losing Weight After Pregnancy:
1. Eat Regular Meals:
– You probably feel that cutting down on your eating will help you lose the weight faster, but unfortunately, it leads to the opposite result.
– When you are a new mom, you will already have much to worry about, adding to your stress levels. Not eating right, coupled with stress, can make your weight rise.
– Make sure you eat a healthy and balanced diet through the day instead of cutting out on food. It can be the best tip to weight loss after pregnancy.
2. Smaller Portions And More Number Of Meals:
– Instead of going for three big meals in a day, spread out your food through six meals in a day.
– Keep the portions smaller, so that you do not feel too heavy at once.
– Eating six small meals instead of three big ones will also mean you do not stay hungry in between.
3. Go For Foods That Are Low In Calorie:
– While you are a new mom, your body needs a lot of nutrition to help it come back to its healthiest self, and also to produce enough milk for your baby.
– Instead of eating foods that will make you feel full without doing much for your body, go for super foods.
– Eat foods that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, protein and fiber, such as salmon, sardines, tuna, lean meat, chicken, eggs, beans, legumes, yogurt and whole grain foods. Cut down foods which are high in calories. This will help for weight loss after delivery
4. Stay Hydrated:
– Make sure you drink at least eight to ten glasses of water a day, as it will help to flush out all toxins from your body.
– Drinking water and fluids will also prevent dehydration and improve your metabolism, which is effective in managing weight.
– Include different types of liquids in your daily diet such as milkshakes, smoothies, soups, stews, fresh juices and such.
5. Start Exercising:
– Yes, you have much to look after when you are a new mom, but it is also important to include some form of exercise in your daily routine.
– Speak to your doctor to understand when you can get back to exercising.
– Focus on easy and basic exercises to start with, so that you do not feel too tired or do not hurt yourself in the process. Some exercises you could try are walking, jogging, swimming, aerobics, yoga and the like.
6. Get Your Sleep:
– No, it is not possible to get eight straight hours of sleep when you are a new mom, but you should try and avoid being sleep deprived.
– Not getting enough sleep can adversely affect your metabolism and slow down your weight loss process.
– Try to assign housework to other members and get some sleep while your baby sleeps. Pump out the milk and take a few power nap sessions. Show your partner how to feed your baby.
7. Baby Weight Training:
– Yes, you don’t have time to hit the gym, and you do not need to use those heavy dumbbells yet. Instead, use your little one to help you lose the weight.
– Hold your baby closely and firmly to your chest and do a few lunges each day. Make sure you take your doctor’s approval first.
– Another great way to do it is by lying on your back and holding your baby up and down.
8. Watch Your Snacking:
– As a new mother who is breastfeeding her baby, you will be prone to feel hungrier than earlier. It means that you will also reach out for more snacking options.
– What you eat as your snacks can help you gain or lose weight.
– Include both healthy and delicious food items in your snack menu, such as nuts, chopped fruits, whole grains, roasted sweet potatoes, yogurt mixes and such.
9. Lower Your Stress Levels:
– Being a new mom comes with its set of responsibilities and pressures, and it is natural for you to feel overwhelmed and stressed.
– Stress can adversely affect your weight loss, so try and reduce it as much as you can.
– Ask your partner to take care of your baby while you enjoy some me time. Do whatever relaxes you, so that you are less stressed out. This is the best way to lose weight after baby delivery.
– Yes, dancing will help you burn those calories even as you have fun.
– Put on some music, anything that you and your baby can enjoy, and dance to it.
– It doesn’t matter whether you know the moves, just move along and sweat it out.
11. Yogurt Dessert:
– Instead of reaching out for dessert whenever you feel low or tired, try giving it a healthy turn.
– Place batches of yogurt in the freezer with some chopped fruits and nuts. You can also add your food essence, such as vanilla, and mix it up.
– Eat the yogurt mix when you crave something sweet. It can be the best tip for weight loss post pregnancy.
12. Drink Water Before You Have Your Meals:
– If you feel you always end up eating more than you need to and feel bloated as a result, drinking water before your meals can be the answer.
– Slowly sip on a full glass of water before you start eating your meal.
– It will fill up your stomach, and you will only eat as much as you need to, instead of eating more than is required and feeling overstuffed.
13. Cut Out Where You Can:
– There will always be those cheat areas where you may end up eating foods that you did not mean to.
– Start cutting out the fattening and unhealthy items from your foods by making some smart and effective choices.
– While having a sandwich or salad, avoid cheese or fattening dressings, cut out the fries on the side and the dips. Instead, add dips such as yogurt and olive oil mixes, roasted vegetables and such.
14. Eat Early:
– Try and bring up your dinner time to late evening instead of night.
– If possible, have an early dinner, somewhere between 7 and 7:30 pm., so that you are done before 8 pm. It will boost your metabolism and let you reduce weight.
– If you have to stay awake till late, go for a glass of milk or a cup of green tea. Eating early is the best way to lose weight after pregnancy.
15. Walk As And When You Can:
– Even though you should incorporate exercise into your daily routine, another thing that you need to add is regular walking.
– Try and walk as much as you can, even if it means taking your little one along.
– You can walk with your baby in the garden, while taking your baby for a stroll in the park, while shopping for groceries at the market or local store, or even while putting your baby to sleep in your arms as you walk around the house.
16. Give Yourself Time:
– You put on all the excess weight over a period of nine months, so do not expect it to go away in a couple of months after you have your baby.
– The first year after your baby is born will be the toughest, and it does take some time to shed the baby weight.
– Make sure you do not lose focus if you don’t see a drop in your weight yet. Keep doing the small changes that you have incorporated and make sure you are sticking to the right choices. Don’t stress or feel depressed. Instead, stay motivated and tell yourself that in just a few more months, you will be where you want to be.
17. Shop Smart:
– It is easy to give in to temptation when it is right there in front of you.
– To make sure that you do not end up snacking on chocolates, sweet foods, candies, ice creams and such when you open the fridge, avoid buying them in the first place.
– If you feel that seeing your favorite unhealthy foods in the store will make you want to buy them, ask your partner to do the groceries and avoid doing it yourself.
18. Avoid Caffeine And Alcohol:
– Yes, you may feel that a cup of coffee is the best bet to ward off sleep and exhaustion, but it can stop you from losing weight.
– Even if you have stopped breastfeeding, go easy on the alcohol, and try not to have more than one or two drinks a week.
– If you feel tired and need something to drink, have a steaming cup of green tea with grated ginger.
19. Eat At Home:
– While it is fine to eat out occasionally, try and eat at home as much as you can.
– Eating out can often tempt you to eat foods that you know are not great for your weight watching.
– Keep your eating out habit to not more than once in a week or two. Eating from home is the easy and best way to lose weight after having a baby.
20. Stay Motivated:
– If you have a pretty dress from the time you were lean, keep it at the front of your wardrobe where you will be able to see it regularly.
– Knowing what you want to fit into will help you stay motivated and work harder towards your goal.
– Moms, it’s not easy to shed that pregnancy weight, but a few smart choices and a little more hard work can help. Patience and perseverance are the keystones here, so make sure you stick to doing what you started. And yes, before you do anything, make sure to speak to your doctor and get a health clearance first.