According to their research, dark circles add significantly more years to a person’s perceived age than wrinkles, fine lines, or pigment changes—which is why they trained their focus on this particular affliction.
And when the doctors demonstrated just how quickly and effectively it worked on volunteers from the audience, it became clear to everyone that their discovery is nothing short of groundbreaking!
Previously, the only way to alleviate the look of tired and dark marks around and under the eyes was through highly invasive, surgical procedures. But there are several different natural ways to treat this condition and remove years from your face!
There are a few reasons why you might be getting those bags under your eyes.
- Genetics are the biggest culprit. If you inherit fair or thin skin under the eyes, it’s more obvious when blood pools there (often because of slower circulation from lack of sleep). This accumulation causes fragile capillaries to stretch and leak.
- Age is another factor. Over time, skin loses collagen and thins, so veins show through more prominently. Sunbathing speeds up this process by breaking down collagen and mottling skin color.
- Seasonal allergies are to blame for many people. “They trigger the release of histamines in the body, which in turn inflame blood vessels and cause swelling,” says Ranella Hirsch, a dermatologist in Boston. To determine why your circles happen, gently stretch the skin under your eyes. If that area becomes darker, the circles are probably due to genetics or aging. If the color doesn’t change, UV rays or allergies are probably the cause.
Now, to the important part, how to get rid of these bags?
1. Almond Oil
Almond oil is a great natural ingredient that is very beneficial for the delicate skin around your eyes. Regular usage of almond oil will help fade your under eye circles. In addition to almond oil, you can use vitamin E oil to eliminate dark circles under the eyes.
Cucumbers have skin-lightening and mild astringent properties that help fix those raccoon eyes naturally. Plus, they have a soothing and refreshing effect.
3. Lemon Juice
The vitamin C present in lemon juice can also help remove dark circles under the eyes, thanks to its skin-lightening properties.
4. Coconut Oil
Massaging with coconut oil is another effective natural remedy to lighten dark circles. Due to its moisturizing quality, coconut oil also promotes smooth skin and prevents wrinkles and fine lines under eyes.
5. Tea Bags
The caffeine and antioxidants present in tea can be highly beneficial for getting rid of dark circles as well as puffiness under eyes by shrinking the blood vessels and reducing fluid retention. The tannins, in particular, help decrease swelling and discoloration.
Turmeric has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that can help minimize dark circles. It will also make the skin around your eyes smoother and softer.
- Get adequate sleep and rest.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes too much or too often as it causes the blood vessels to dilate, thus making the under eye circles appear darker.
- Remove your make-up before going to sleep or else it may irritate your eyes.
- Limit sun exposure.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to get rid of water retention that could be causing the problem.
- To avoid eye bags caused by pooling of fluids in your lower eyelids, elevate your head by adding two or more pillows under your head before going to sleep.
- Pay attention to your diet and eat foods rich in vitamins A, C and E.
- Stop smoking and restrict alcohol and caffeine consumption; smoking damages skin cells, and alcohol and caffeine contribute to dehydration which in turn weakens the delicate skin around the eyes.
Dark circles are not a serious skin problem, but they make people look tired, exhausted, unhealthy and older. You can easily get rid of unsightly shadows under your eyes using some easy home remedies.