People all over the world use this highly priced spice both in the kitchen and for its medicinal properties. According to newest researches, this amazing spice can be used as an carminative (to prevent gas), diaphoretic (to cause sweating), aphrodisiac and to bring on menstruation as well. in this article we will present you several amazing benefits of this spice:
- Promotes learning and memory retention:
Crocin is also extremely beneficial in the treatment of age related mental impairment, and in Japan it is used in the treatment of Parkinson’s disease, inflammation and memory loss.
- In delayed puberty:
In order to stimulate hormones, under developed girls should take a tablespoon of milk and a pinch of saffron.
- Protects against cancer:
Saffron has golden color due to crocin – a water soluble carotene which has the ability to trigger apoptosis in certain cancer types like soft tissue sarcoma, colon adenocarcinoma, leukemia, and ovarian cancer.
According to some researchers from Mexico, the active components in saffron are able to inhibit human malignant cells, but the best part is that this extract does not affect the healthy cells. In fact, it stimulates their formation and that of lymphocytes [immune cells that help destroy cancer cells].
- To increase vitality:
People who deal with low libido should definitely consume saffron since it acts as a sexual stimulant. It should be taken in a dose of a pinch in a glass of milk prior bedtime.
- In patchy baldness:
In order to induce hair growth in alopecia, people should mix a pinch of saffron in liquorice and milk and apply it topically on their scalp.
- Protection against cold:
Whenever you catch a cold or you have a fever, add a pinch of saffron in milk and apply it over your forehead because it will relieve the cold in no time.
- Food Additives:
Instead of using FD and C yellow no 5: a synthetic food coloring agent, people should add saffron because it doesn’t trigger allergies.
As you can see, saffron is extremely beneficial and it should be incorporated in everyday life, especially during winter, so here are some serving ideas:
- In order to prepare a wonderful marinade for fish, add saffron threads, garlic and thyme to vinegar.
2.To give cakes and cookies a buttery golden hue and rich aroma, just add some saffron.
- To prepare a delicious treat, just cook biryanis and saffron along with Indian bay leaves, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves.
- You can also prepare a golden elixir drink just by adding a tiny piece of saffron into a glass of champagne or sparkling apple cider vinegar.
- Coffee spiced with saffron and cardamom is a soothing and heart healthy drink.
- In order to prepare the famous Indian yogurt drink – lassi, just add some saffron and cinnamon to whole milk or yogurt and honey.
Even though it has numerous health benefits, saffron is not recommended for pregnant women and nursing mums. It is also important to mentione that large doses like 1 or 2 tablespoons can be toxic.