The Cabbage Soup Diet is a diet that will help you to lose weight in a short time just by eating cabbage soup in great amounts. You can lose up to 10 lbs in 2-3 weeks.
Some experts explain that this diet is unhealthy and the effects are unsustainable. Therefore, we will review the pros and cons of the Cabbage Diet Soup.
The diet actually consists of cabbage soup only for seven days. Yet, you can also have one or two other foods, like skim milk, fruit or vegetables each day. Cabbage is a low-calorie food, or minus calories, meaning that you will burn more calories that you actually consume it.
The more cabbage soup you consume, the more weight is lost. This diet is to be done before an important event or a longer-term diet regime, so it should not be done more than a week.
The Cabbage Soup Diet is also known as the Sacred Heart Hospital Diet or the Mayo Clinic Diet, as it is believed to have been developed as a way to quickly lose weight before a surgery.
Yet, these claims have been denied by the implicated hospitals, so the origins of the diet are unknown. Yet, it is known that it has gained popularity during the last two decades of the previous century.
The basis of this diet is the homemade cabbage soup. You need to prepare it in advance for the entire week, and this is the recipe:
The Cabbage Soup Recipe
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1 package of mushrooms
- 2 cans of tomatoes
- 3 carrots
- 2 green peppers
- 2 large onions
- 1 bunch of celery
- 1–2 bouillon cubes (optional)
- 6–8 cups water or vegetable cocktail like V8
How to make:
You should chop all the ingredients into cubes. Then, sauté’ the onions in a bit of oil in a stock pot, and add the other ingredients. Cover with water or vegetable cocktail and you can add bouillon cubes or other seasonings.
Boil the mixture and then lower the heat. Simmer for about half an hour, until the ingredients become tender. You can add salt, pepper, herbs, spices, and hot sauce, as well as other non-starchy vegetables, like spinach or green beans.
You should consume the soap on a daily basis, as much as you can, several times daily. You can add one or two other low-calorie foods every day. Drink only water, unsweetened tea, or other calorie-free beverages. This diet might limit the intake of nutrients, so make sure you take multivitamins.
This is the Cabbage Soup Diet plan:
- Day One: Unlimited cabbage soup and fruit, but avoid bananas.
- Day Two: Only soup and raw or cooked green leafy vegetables. You can have a baked potato with butter or oil, but avoid beans, peas, corn.
- Day Three: Soup, vegetables, and fruits in unlimited amounts. Skip the baked potato and the
- Day Four: Unlimited amounts of bananas, skim milk, and cabbage soup.
- Day Five: You can have 10–20 oz (280–567 grams) of beef, up to six fresh tomatoes and unlimited cabbage soup. You should drink at least 6–8 glasses of water.
- Day Six: Soup, beef, and green leafy vegetables. You can replace the beef with broiled fish.
- Day Seven: Avoid added sugar, but you can have vegetables, brown rice, unlimited fruit juice, and cabbage soup.
You need to wait for 2 weeks after the first one if you want to repeat this diet.
When it comes to the effectiveness, we must say that this diet has never been studied before. However, it is a fact that it is low in calories, so it probably leads to weight loss.
However, the sad truth is that the lost pounds will probably come back soon after the end of the diet. In the case of low-calories diets, the body lowers the metabolic rate in response, so the body burns fewer calories than it usually does.
Yet, the metabolism is slowed down after the third day of a very-low-calorie diet. Due to this, it is often difficult to stop a crash diet.