Migraines and other types of headaches are painful. Migraine symptoms include a pounding headache, nausea, vomiting, and light sensitivity.
People with migraines often take beta blockers or antidepressants to prevent headaches, and triptans, such as Imitrex or Relpax, once symptoms start.
Fortunately there are some other approaches you can consider. Here are a few natural remedies for instant headache relief.
3 EFFECTIVE HOME REMEDIES FOR HEADACHE
Ginger can help reduce inflammation of the blood vessels in the head.
Method1: Boil ginger powder or raw ginger in water, and inhale the vapor.
Method 2: Ginger Paste
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon of dry ginger powder
Combine 1 teaspoon of dry ginger powder and 2 tablespoons of water. Mix well. Apply this paste on the forehead for a few minutes.
Method 3: You can also mix equal parts of ginger juice and lemon juice. Consume this drink once or twice a day (2).
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne powder
- 4 ounces of warm water
How to make:
- Add ½ teaspoon of cayenne powder in 4 ounces of warm water.
- Soak a cotton swab in the solution and stir it around to make sure it’s covered-the powder can sometimes sink to the bottom.
- Apply the moist swab gently to the inside of each nostril until you can feel the heat. It may be a bit unpleasant at first, but take the burning sensation as a sign that it’s working. When it subsides, your headache will hopefully be wiped out, or at the very least better than before.
Lavender is a useful home remedy for headaches and migraine pain. Lavender oil can be either inhaled or applied topically.
Method 1: 2 drops of lavender oil in two cups of boiling water are recommended when inhaling lavender-oil vapors as a headache treatment.
Unlike many medicinal oils, this home remedy can also be safely applied externally without the need to dilute it.
Method 2: Mix two or three drops of lavender essential oil in one tablespoon almond or olive oil and massage your forehead with it.
Notice: Lavender oil should not be taken orally.