With dementia and Alzheimer’s disease affecting millions all over the world, increasing and even happening to younger generations, many are looking to improve their diets in effort to avoid these deficiencies.
Studies have shown that a healthy diet is actually linked to better memory and improve cognitive function later in life.
Try Boosting Your Brain Power with These Foods
- Whole Grain – Carbohydrates is a must! It serves as our brain’s fuel to work and so we do need this in our diet. Choosing whole grain gives us sustained energy over time rather than forcing our liver to store it as fat.
- Avocados and Olive Oil – Along with other nuts and seeds, avocados and olive oil has the healthy fats (HDLs) which reduce inflammation and protect brain cells from oxidation.
- Tomatoes and Watermelon – Both tomatoes and watermelon are high in lycopene which help maintain brain health by slowing down brain cell degeneration and increasing function.
- Eggs – Egg yolks contain choline, one of the building blocks of acetylcholine, a neurotransmitter essential to our “working memory”.
- Berries – Besides being antioxidant-rich, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries have been shown to improve memory and cognitive function.
- Turmeric – Turmeric contains curcumin which has an anti-inflammatory properties that have shown to improve short term memory.