Many of us are using a wide array of scents, soaps, detergents, bleaching agents, softeners, scourers, polishes, and specialized cleaners for bathrooms, glass, drains, and ovens to keep our homes sparkling and sweet-smelling.
But while the chemicals in cleaners foam, bleach, and disinfect to make our toilet gleaming and germ-free, many also contribute to indoor air pollution, are poisonous if ingested, and can be harmful if inhaled or touched.
Ingredients with high acute toxicity include chlorine bleach and ammonia, which produce fumes that are highly irritating to eyes, nose, throat and lungs, and should not be used by people with asthma or lung or heart problems.
DIY TOILET BOMBS THAT CLEAN, DISINFECT, AND DEODORIZE
These toilet bombs allow you to deodorize and clean your toilet at the same time.
- ½ cup citric acid
- ½ cup baking soda
- water in a spray bottle
- ½ cup borax or cornstarch
- 25 drops essential oils (lemon or orange essential oil)
How to make:
1. Place all ingredients (except the essential oil) into the gallon size zip-top bag and shake to combine ingredients.
2. Open the bag, spray 2-3 times with water. Close the bag and knead. Repeat this step a few times.
3. You’ll know it’s ready as soon as you squeeze the bag and the mixture stays clumped together inside the bag when you let go. It should be roughly the consistency of pie dough (If the bag gets puffy, just let the air out).
4. Next, add 25 drops essential oils and mix well.
5. Pack into molds. Leave them dry for a day or two and then unmold. They will be fragile at first, but will harden considerably over the next few days. Place them somewhere up high to finish drying for another day or two.
6. Store in a glass jar with a tight fitting lid
Drop one bomb into the toilet and wait for the fizzing to stop. You can use a scrubby brush to clean off anything else and then flush.