Shower is the perfect moment to take a little extra time for yourself no matter whether you take it at night before bedtime to relax or in the morning to wake up before work. It is the perfect moment where you can really spoil yourself.
Sometimes, in order to relax even more, people tend to use artificially scented soaps and hair products. However, there are many natural ways to improve your shower routine, and one of the simplest and yet very effective way is to hang eucalyptus from your shower head.
What is Eucalyptus?
Eucalyptus is a tree that originates from Australia and it has been used in aboriginal medicine for millennia. It has a strong scent that quickly clears your airways and chases away mental fog.
It is perfect to use it in the shower because its leaves are quite hardy, but as long as it doesn’t get too wet.
Eucalyptus and Steam
Due to the fact that eucalyptus essential oil is steam-extracted, keeping a few branches in a steamy shower will activate the plant’s beneficial properties. It’s especially helpful when used to treat the respiratory symptoms of the cold and flu.
Other benefits include:
- Fights inflammation
- Expectorant (pushes outphlegm)
- Antibacterial and analgesic properties
- Invigorating and relaxing scent
- Antiparasitic (works well against head lice)
- Boosts your immune system
- Soothes aching joints
How To Use:
Hang it in the Shower
This trick is very simple and will get you excited to get in the shower and get clean.
- You can buy Eucalyptus in most flower shops, health food stores and craft stores.
- Use a cotton string to tie together the ends of 2 or 3 branches.
- Use another piece of twine or cotton string in order to secure the bunch on your showerhead, hanging it downwards ans as close to the wall as you can. The leaves can tolerate some water, but they’ll quickly get moldy if they’re constantly soaked.
- Turn your tap to hot and hop in!
- Replace the eucalyptus every week.
Use it in DYI bath products
You can add several drops of eucalyptus oil into your homemade toothpaste, soap or deodorant. When in doubt, make a eucalyptus-scented shower tablet and pop it in before showering.
- 3 cups of baking soda
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup of water
- Eucalyptus & Lemongrass essential oil
- A silicon cupcake or ice cube tray
How to make:
- Take a large bowl and make a combination with 1 cup of water and a little bit of baking soda. Mix the ingredients until you get a glue-like texture.
- Next, grate the peel of the lemon and add it in. Stir well to combine.
- Press the mixture well into your molds in order to make sure they don’t cramble when you pop them out.
- Add 5-10 drops of each oil to each tablet, depending on its size and your preference.
- Leave them to stand in a cool dry place until completely dry (5-7 days).
- Pro tip: Speed up the process b baking them at 350°F for 15 minutes. Make sure to bake them before you add the essential oil as it will cook up and lose most of its scent.
- Pop the tablets out of the mold and store them in a glass jar in your bathroom.
- When you want to use them, just place a shower tablet on the floor of your shower, away from the drain and enjoy.