What is gelatin?
Does anyone have a clear idea what exactly gelatin is made of? Gelatin is made of amino acids, more specifically glycine and proline, and these amino acids are essential for the proper functioning of many organs in the body.
They’re needed to keep your skin, nails and hair healthy and maintain optimal immune function and weight regulation. But the problem with these amino acids is that they’re usually found in the bones, fibrous tissues and organs of animals, which we’ve stopped consuming a long time ago. That’s why gelatin is so health beneficial, because it compensates for the food rich in these amino acids, keeping our body in top state. 1/3 of the gelatin is consisted of glycine, which has anti-inflammatory and healing properties. It can also help you sleep easier and better.
The Million-Dollar Question – Why They Give Jello to Sick People in Hospitals:
Do you have any idea as to why all sick people recovering from surgery or some kind of medical condition get jello for lunch or dinner? Well because it’s mostly made of liquid, which is easy for our body to digest and isn’t heavy on the stomach. It has an ample amount of calories to keep you full without causing stomach issues. When you’re recovering from a difficult period your body needs something easy to digest and that’s why jello is the perfect meal for everyone.
Jello, which is mainly gelatin with food coloring, can also improve gut integrity and digestive strength by enhancing gastric acid secretion and restoring a healthy mucosal lining in the stomach. Gelatin also absorbs water and helps keep fluid in the digestive tract, promoting good intestinal transit and healthy bowel movements.
Gelatin – Health Benefits
- It improves digestion – gelatin naturally binds to water and helps food move through the digestive tract more easily.
- It’s rich in proteins – just one tablespoon of it contains 6 grams of protein so if you want to add more proteins in your diet this could be your ideal choice.
- It can help with food allergies and intolerances – it can heal the lining of your stomach and digestive tract.
- It improves bone and joint health – it’s rich in amino acids which are essential for strengthening the cartilage in joints
- It improves hair, nails and teeth quality – it contains keratin which is a very important protein when it comes to hair, nails and teeth health.
- It helps you flush out the toxins – thanks to the high amount of glycine it contains, gelatin helps your liver flush out the toxins out of your system
- It helps your wounds heal faster – as we already said, it contains glycine, which has strong anti-inflammatory and healing properties.
- It gives your skin more elasticity – in case you didn’t know gelatin is essentially cooked down collagen. Consuming it will help improve your skin quality much more effectively then hard- to- absorb collagen facial creams
- It promotes weight loss – according to experts, gelatin stimulates the production of the human growth hormone and boosts metabolism.
- It helps you sleep better – according to a recent study gelatin not only improves your sleep quality but regular consumption can also help you shake off the drowsiness and improve your cognitive function.
Delicious Homemade Jelly – RECIPE:
- 1 Cup of grape juice or fresh strawberries.
- 1 Cup orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 Cup of green tea
- 3 tbsp. unflavored gelatin
- Honey or stevia
How to make:
First, prepare the green tea and add some honey or stevia for taste. Then add the gelatin and mix until it’s dissolved. Take it off the stove and set it aside until it cools down. After it’s cooled you can add the orange and grape juice and mix well again. Transfer the jelly in a container and put it in the fridge for about 3 hours. Take it out of the fridge and enjoy your deliciously healthy homemade jelly.