Detoxification occurs best while we are asleep because that’s when the body starts to rebuild and regenerate its tissues. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), the liver, which represents the main detoxification organ, functions optimally between 1am and 3am.
Therefore, we need to ensure that proper conditions are present for effective detoxification to occur. One requirement for proper detoxification is that we are actually sound asleep well before this time.
Another requirement is that we have enough blood and bodily fluids for the detoxification process, so that the body doesn’t become overloaded with harmful substances, which tend to be released as we detox. Proper detoxification can also lead to a healthy metabolism, which in turn can lead not only to a lowered toxin burden but also faster fat burning for those wanting to manage their weight.
There are certain teas and drinks you can consume before bedtime that can potentially help with this important bodily function as outlined below:
7 GREAT BEDTIME BEVERAGES FOR DETOXIFICATION
- Lemon Water: This is one of the drinks I routinely recommend to patients to drink throughout the day made by either squeezing fresh lemon in water or by slicing lemons and adding them to a jar of water. If using lemon slices with the peel, ensure you are using organic lemons to avoid pesticide exposure. At night lemon water helps purge toxins out of your blood. Lemon water works best when it is warm, as cold drinks can cause a shock to the body and take heat from your digestive system to warm up. So help your body in advance by drinking warm fluids.
- Chamomile Tea: This tea is mildly bitter due to its sesquiterpene lactone content which helps the liver prime its detoxification pathways. Chamomile is also considered to have a nervine action on the body meaning that it is used to calm the nerves to help us wind down and fall asleep. Finally, this herb has anti-inflammatory effects which further aid the body in dealing with intermediates of detoxification which can cause higher than normal levels of inflammation in the body.
- Lotus Seed: This is another TCM herb (Lian Zi is the Chinese name) which can be beneficial to make as a nighttime tea. This herb is useful if stress, anxiety and racing thoughts keep you up at night. It helps calm the mind and can even help if you’re having heart palpitations. Lavender can also be added to this tea to further cut down the anxiety and calm the nerves.
- Jujube Fruit: This is a Chinese herb that helps to nourish liver blood again required for detoxification and fat burning. Jujube, or Da Zao, also helps to calm the mind which is perfect to help ease our stressed out brain so that we can get the good quality sleep needed for proper liver functioning. This herb also strengthens the Spleen-Pancreas which in Chinese Medicine can get affected by an overloaded liver leading to improper digestion of foods.
- Peppermint:Peppermint is mostly used against digestive problems, but it contains anti-inflammatory properties which help against liver and gallbladder problems. Peppermint is also delicious and calming, so you should drink peppermint tea before going to bed.
- Rose:Besides the wonderful scent, the rose has bitter and warm properties which can help against liver damage and spleen meridians. It also improves the blood and energy flow, digestion and helps with some stomach diseases.
- Schizandra Berries: Schizandra is traditionally used to treat liver disease and boost energy level. It also contains schisandrin, which is a hepatoprotective compound that improves your immune system thus making you more resistant to various diseases, poisons and stress. The berries also protect your body from radiation damage and they improve the adrenal health.