Dukan Diet Rules
The Dukan Diet is one of the latest dietary trends based on rules that promise fast weight loss results. Read on and find out how to implement the 4 phases of this popular diet and increase your weight loss results significantly.
The first or the attack phase takes about 10 days. It’s also the most aggressive phase as you can lose over 2 pounds a day, depending on your weight loss goals. The attack phase can be scheduled in the following way:
- If you have less than 10 pounds to lose, stay 1-2 days on the attack phase.
- If you want to lose anywhere between 10 and 20 pounds, stay 3-4 days on the attack phase.
- If you need to lose anywhere between 20 and 40 pounds, stay 5-6 days on the attack phase.
- Phase if you have more than 40 pounds to lose, stay 7-8 days on the attack.
- It’s not recommended to stay on the attack phase for 9-10 days without medical
The basic Dukan diet rules for the attack phase include:
- You MUST consume 5 tbsp of oat bran every day. You can mix oat bran with no-fat yogurt, or you can eat it as you like
- .You MUST drink a minimum of 5 litres of water every day of the program to protect your kidneys from overworking and your body from dehydration. Protecting your kidneys is vital because the Dukan Diet is a high protein diet.
- You MUST walk for about 20 minute a day on a regular basis. This is the only workout you’ll need to do.
- You can eat anything from the foods below as much as you want:
- If you don’t see any further weight loss results after the first 5 days, go to phase 2 even if you planned your attack to last
- Lean beef, veal or rabbit;
- Chicken and turkey without skin or the outside part of the wings (which is too fatty);
- Lean ham;
- Beef, veal, or chicken liver;
- Any fish (except canned in oil or sauce);
- Shellfish and crustaceans;
- No more than 2 eggs a day, but unlimited amount of egg whites. Remove the yolks if you have high cholesterol;
- Low fat (less than 5% fat) or no-fat dairy products;
- Sweeteners (except fructose based), herbs, vinegar, garlic, mustard, sugar free natural ketchup (in moderation), onion (as spice), lemon juice (as spice, not for drinking) and any other spices;
- Sugar-free chewing gum.
The second or the cruise phase of the Dukan Diet takes as much as you need to reach your weight loss goals. It could be a week, a month or a few months, depending on what your desired weight is. The Cruise phase rules for the Dukan Diet include:
- You MUST increase your exercise to 30 minutes of brisk walking every day
- You MUST increase the oat bran consumption to 2 tbsp daily
- You MUST alternate one day with foods only from the first phase, with one day with foods from the first phase + vegetables from this list:
- Beetroot (in moderation)
- Brussel sprouts
- Carrots (in moderation)
- French beans
- Salad leaves
- Soya beans
- Swiss chard
- You can drink coffee and tea during any phase of the Dukan Diet, but without any Optionally, you can add skimmed milk to your coffee, but nothing else.
- You MUSTN’T drink alcohol during the first and second phase.
The consolidation phase starts when you have reached your weight loss goal. In the third phase you can eat anything you want, but to prevent gaining your weight back, make sure you follow these rules:
- For every pound you lost, you need to be on this phase for 5 days. So 10 pounds lost require that you be on the Consolidation phase for 50 days.
- You should eat at least one fruit every day. Any fruit is allowed except for bananas, dried fruit and cherries.
- You can eat 2 slices of wholegrain bread a day.
- You can include no more than 40 grams of cheese to your menu every day (just avoid goat cheeses, roquefort and camembert).
- You can eat 2 portions (220 grams each) of starchy products per Choose between pasta (cooked al dente), wholegrain rice, lentils or beans. Potatoes and white rice should be avoided.
- You can have some lean pork or lamb once a week.
- You must have one day of pure protein every week (choose only from the foods allowed in the Attack phase). It is recommended to choose a Thursday, but if this doesn’t fit your schedule, you can choose any other day.
- Limit to a single, average-sized
- You can have celebration meals, which means you can eat anything includingpizza, French fries, ice cream and chocolate cake twice a week. However, make sure you stick to these rules:
- Celebration meal means you should enjoy the tastes, rather than rush
- You shouldn’t have celebration meals two days in a row.
- Ideally, your celebration meals should be homemade.
The last or stabilization phase gives a set of rules to become your new improved lifestyle. These rules will help you prevent weight gain in the future and live a healthy life. The 3 Dukan diet rules for life include:
- Stick to a pure protein day once a
- Eat 1-2 tbsp of oat bran daily to cut out
- Stay active and walk at least half an hour aday on a regular basis. If you are time-deficient, find other ways of staying active during the day. For instance, take the stairs instead of the lift, or walk short distances instead of driving.
If you put on a few pounds, don’t wait until you gain a few more. You can easily get back on track by including 2 pure protein days per week (only foods from the Attack phase).