Yellow jackets are described as bee-similar creatures that are actually wasps with yellow and black stripes on the body. Commonly, these creatures do not sting or attack until they feel threatened. Supposing you get stung by a yellow jacket, the affected area seems to be turn red, and experience the pain, swelling and itching. Besides, there will be also infection and inflammation around the area. However, since the condition is still mild, you can easily treat it at home by using some natural, inexpensive but effective ingredients.
In case there are many stings caused by yellow jackets, they are likely to lead to allergic reactions in some people. Now, the symptoms of yellow jacket stings will be much worse than a mild case, including indistinct speech, weakness, difficult swallowing and breathing, vomiting, fever or even unconsciousness. In this case, it is extremely necessary to go to a doctor for medical treatments.
For mild cases of yellow jacket stings, if you opt for using treatments at home, make sure the stinger is removed from the skin by pulling it away with a knife. After that, cleanse the area with soap and water. Finally, try some of these home remedies to quickly get rid of the symptoms.
Let’s find out top 10 home remedies for yellow jacket stings.
After cold compress, it is advisable to use vinegar to make home remedies for yellow jacket stings. Thanks to the acetic acid, vinegar, especially apple cider vinegar is able to reduce inflammation and swelling. As well as ease the itching and pain.
- Dip a piece of cloth in white vinegar or apple cider vinegar then apply it onto the affected area. Leave it for 5-10 minutes then wash off with water.
- Another way to use vinegar is to mix it with meat to make a paste. Apply it onto the stings for about 30 minutes then wash off with water.
Learn more about other benefits of apple cider vinegar at Home Remedies For Jock Itch and Home Remedies for Oral Thrush.
2. Cold Compresses
The first thing you should do to ease the pain and reduce itching is using cold compress, in which the ice will numb the nerves to inhibit the swelling and inflammation.
- Put some ice into a bowl of cold water
- Dip a piece of cloth into it then wring out the excess water
- Apply the cloth onto the affected area then wait for 10 minutes
- Do this at least 2-3 times a day
- Alternatively, you can use any other cold subjects like a cold bottle of water or an ice bag to hold against the skin. Remember not to put ice or frozen things directly onto the skin to avoid frostbite.
Possessing wonderful healing properties, plantain makes a perfect home remedy for yellow jacket stings. Specifically, by making use of the anti-inflammatory and antibacterial qualities, plantain helps promptly reduce the symptoms of yellow jacket stings while successfully prevent infection and inflammation.
- Crush some plantain leaves to extract the juice and apply it onto the affected site. After it dries out, rinse the area with water. Do this several times a day until your condition improves.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda makes another great treatment for yellow jacket stings thanks to its alkaline quality. By applying the ingredient externally on the affected areas, you can quickly ease the pain, swelling and itching.
- Make a paste from baking soda by mix it with a little water
- Use the paste to apply on the skin for at least 5 minutes
- Wash off with water
- Do this 2-3 times a day to quickly get rid of the discomforts
Aside from treatments for health issues in adult, baking soda is completely safe for using to deal with problems in babies and infants, including treatments for diaper rash.
Onions have been a good companion in preventing and treating insect bites and yellow jacket stings are no exception.
- Cut an onion into thin slices then rub it to the stings. After a few minutes, stop and continue to leave the juice of onion on for 15 minutes. Finally, wash off with water.
- Alternatively use slices of onion to apply onto the affected skin for 30 minutes. Remove then wash with water.
Learn more about other benefits of onion at Home Remedies for Scabies.
Honey has always been a good friend of human as it brings to us so many health benefits, including treatments for yellow jacket stings. Basically, the special enzymes in the ingredient possess the ability to ease the pain and reduce itching on the affected areas. Furthermore, the antibacterial properties in honey can fight back infection and inflammation.
- Directly apply raw organic honey onto the affected site. Let it dry naturally and wash off with water. Repeat this 2-3 times a day in a couple of days until you see improvement.
- Mix honey and turmeric together to make a paste then apply onto the stings. Let it dry naturally then wash off with water. Do this a few times a day until the condition completely improves.
If there is nothing you can find around your house but some aspirins, take advantage of them. This is also beneficial for your symptoms of yellow jacket stings by inhibiting the toxin and accelerating the healing process. Also, aspirin can reduce pain and swelling while preventing inflammation.
- Crush some aspirins into powder form and mix with water to get a paste
- Apple the paste on the stings and let it dry naturally
- Finally, wash off with water
8. Activated Charcoal
Another ingredient you can use to make treatments for yellow jacket stings is activated charcoal. By neutralizing the venom and remove toxins out of the body, charcoal prevent swelling, itching and pain.
- Use a slightly wet charcoal tablet to rub on a bandage. Apply it on the affected area and replace after a few hours.
- Alternatively, take the contents in 2-3 charcoal capsules and mix it with a little of water then you will get a paste. Use the paste to apply onto the affected area. After a few hours, remove it and wash off with water. Do this a few times a day to quickly get rid of the pain.
Ammonia is well known for it natural alkaline properties, thus it can fight back the acidic toxin in the venom. By applying ammonia, you can promptly get relief from the pain, swelling and itching.
- Dip a cotton ball into ammonia
- Use it to dab on the stings
- Do this several times a day
10. White Toothpaste
You can also use toothpaste to deal with yellow jacket stings because the ingredient is able to inhibit the toxin in venom and quickly reduce the symptoms of the stings.
- Take a little white toothpaste to dab on the affected area
- Leave it for a few hours then wash off
- Repeat 2-3 times daily
Make sure you are using purely white toothpaste but not whitening, colored or gel ones.