We get a LOT of bugs and using citronella oil in a mason jar isn’t some “new thing”. Since I love (love, love) my essential oils instead of using chemicals for things like this, I could not resist these easy luminaries.
I love that they can help to ward off the bugs and they are just so beautiful as well!
I got the idea to add the fresh rosemary and citrus from Kellie at Nest Of Posies. Have you seen her blog?? Sooo many amazing ideas up in there!
Let’s whip these up, shall we?
Supplies You Need:
- 4 Mason Jars (you can also recycle jelly jars, etc)
- 2 fresh lemons
- 40 drops each – Cedarwood, Lavender, Lemon and Thieves essential oils (or use your own combination of oils but these are known to help to repel the buggies). This equals TEN drops of each oil / jar.
- 8 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 fresh limes
- Floating tea light candles
To Assemble these are just so easy. I lined up my 4 mason jars and here’s what you do:
- Slice the lemons and the limes and set aside for a moment – I like to have two each just in case but you can possibly use one each
- Place two sprigs of rosemary into each jar
- Fill each jar 3/4 full with water
- Add the essential oils of your choice – 10 drops each per jar – and swirl slightly
- Place a slice each of lemon and lime into each jar
- Add more water if needed to raise the level to almost full
- Place a floating tea light candle on top
- Set outside, light and make some magic once you light them*
- Replace tea lights as needed – I recommend having some extras on hand!
- Discard fruit and liquid in jar after 2 – 3 days depending on your climate; rinse jars and start fresh as needed
Notice: Never leave candles unattended or in reach of small children and make sure the mixture in jars is not ingested.
So how pretty and easy are those? Perfect for an outside gathering or party, right?
Here’s to a beautiful summer ahead with many fun gatherings and wonderful memories (and less bugs).