If you are suffering from an injured knee, and it is too painful, you don’t have to suffer anymore. Robin McKenzie provides us with some reliable exercises that will help you get rid of knee pain.
He is one of the most popular Physiotherapists from New Zealand. His diagnostic treatments system is widely used in the case of back pain. These 8 exercises are going to provide you a pain-free movement of your legs in no time.
Exercise 1: Active Sitting Knee Extension
This exercise leads to the contract of thights and extenstion of the leg. Follow these steps in order to do it properly.
- Sit in a chair and keep your feet flat on the ground
- You should slowly lift the foot with the painful knee.
- After that, straighten your leg until you feel contract in thights.
- Hold your leg for 2 seconds in this postion before you back to the initial position.
- Repeat this exercise 10 times to get rid of knee pain.
Exercise 2: Knee Extension while Standing
This standing knee extension provides a proper stretch to the painful knee. Here is how you can perform this exercise.
- You need to stand straight with the heel of the leg with knee pain on a low stool.
- After that, reach your hands forward and place them above the knee.
- Push down the body slowly and with your hands strenghten the knee until you feel a stretch.
- Stay in this position for 2 seconds and come back to the initial position.
- In order to get rid of the pain in the knee, repeat this exercise 10 times.
Exercise 3: Knee Bending in Kneeling
In order to get relief from the knee pain, do this kneeling exercise which is really efective. Here are the steps for you to perform this exercise.
- Kneel on the cushion which will provide you support.
- While kneeling, put your hands on the ground in front of you.
- Slowly knee on your heels and perform it till you feel a stretch in knees.
- Stay in this position for 2 seconds and repeat it 6 to 10 times.
- You can perform this stretching while lifting your hands off the floor. For this exercise, you should be in a seating position.
- Hold the position for 2 seconds and get back to the initial steps. Repeat this 10 times to reduce knee pain.
Exercise 4: Knee Bending while Sitting
You can perform this flexion exercise while sitting in a chair, just follow the steps.
- First of all, take a chair and sit in it.
- Then, bend your knee and place your hands on your ankle.
- Use your hands to pull the leg towards your chest.
- Now, pull the heel towards buttocks and hold this position for 2 seconds.
- Once you’re done, repeat this process 10 times and you will feel the improvement.
Exercise 5: Strenghtening Knee while Standing and Chair Squat while Holding Door Knob
You have to perform this exercise in front of an open door so that you can hold the door knobs. The steps for the exercise are given below
- Stand upright and keep your feet shoulder width apart from each other.
- You will need a chair behind you and an open door in front of you in order to hold the door knobs.
- Try to sit on the chair until you experience tension in the knee muscles.
- Repeat this process 10 to 15 times at least 2 times a day to get relief from the pain in the knee.
Notice: proper seating while doing this exercise is not recommended, so while you try to seat on a chair, just stretch your body until your buttocks just touch the chair.
Exercise 6: One-Legged Knee Bend and Knee Strenghtening while Standing
One leg knee bends focus on the painful knee and stretch the painful muscles. Here are the steps for you to perform this exercise.
- Take a chair for support, stand upright, place your painful leg along the edge of a step.
- You should bend the leg in which you feel pain and the leg with no pain will be lowered down the level of step.
- Bend until you feel a stretch in your knee muscles.
- Continue the lowering phase for 3-5 seconds.
- The center of your knee should be pointing forward.
- Repeat this exercise 10 to 15 times at least 2 times a day, holding the position for 2 seconds.
Performing this exercise on a regular basis will help you get relief from the knee pain and it will also help to keep your walking performance well grounded.