Whether you are suffering from acid reflux, dealing with weight control, or osteoporosis if you watch the pharmaceutical ads on television, it appears there is most likely a magical pill to take care of your problem. But wait! Now comes the mandated list of side-effects; nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, heart palpations, liver problems, and possible death. You think to yourself you would rather just deal with your twenty extra pounds or aching hip than experience any of the side-effects of the treatment.
Over 100,000 people die every year from prescription drugs alone, which is more than die from illegal drug use. That does not take into account all the damage we are doing with over the counter medications.
Fortunately, nature does provide treatments and sometimes even cures for many of our common ailments. Two superfoods that individually have healing problems and are made even more powerful through the synergy of combining them are sesame seeds and raw honey.
Properties of sesame seeds
The unassuming little sesame seed, it is not just for hamburger buns anymore. Sesame seeds were used in ancient Egypt thousands of years ago for their medicinal properties. Today nutritionist and scientists have rediscovered the importance of this little seed. Check out what you will find in each 100 grams that make this little seed such a terrific addition to your diet:
• 21.9grams mono-saturated fat- 62mg calcium- protects bones and teeth
• Protein- 22.2 grams- produces antibodies and digestive enzymes
• 24.4 grams Omega 6- produces linoleic acid, assisting with growth and reproduction
• 340mg magnesium- helps with muscles, nerves, and anxiety
Properties of honey
Honey has been consumed for its immunity building and healing properties since the time of Aristotle (384-322 B.C.) Particularly raw, local honey is what will yield the most benefits. Take a look at some of the scientifically proven health advantages of honey.
• Fights infection- used in healing wounds
• Anti-bacterial- fights bacterial illness
• Aids in enzymatic production- helps with the production of hydrogen peroxide
• Anti-inflammatory properties
• Repairs intestinal mucosa- helps repair stomach ulcers
10 conditions alleviated by sesame seeds and honey:
• Ulcers and acid reflux
• Muscular disorders
• Mental health issues- anxiety and depression
• Weakened immune system
• High cholesterol and hypertension
• Skin disorders and infections
Pasteli-Greek Honey Sesame Bars
Many recipes incorporate the benefits of both sesame seeds and raw honey. Here is one that is easy and delicious. It is a modern take on a Greek classic. The fantastic thing about this snack is that the synergy of the sesame seeds and honey give you valuable vitamins and minerals which will give you physical and mental energy, fight depression and anxiety, and even help control your blood pressure. Not too many salty snacks or candy bars can make that claim!
- 1/3 cup pistachios – shelled and chopped
- One cup sesame seeds
- One inch lemon peel
- ¾ cup raw honey
- One teaspoon lemon juice
How to make:
- Brown sesame seeds in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Remove from pan and store on plate- do not let the seeds get too dark.
- Add honey, lemon juice, and lemon peel to saucepan and heat until simmering while stirring the mixture constantly – about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the sesame seeds and pistachios.
- Mix well but do not beat.
- Flatten into a 9×13 baking pan that is lined with parchment paper- you will want to use a spatula that has olive oil on it to flatten the mixture.
- Cool in fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Cut into bars and enjoy- this recipe should make about 12 servings.
To read more about the healing properties of sesame seeds and raw honey and when not to eat them.
This recipe is just one way to enjoy the healing properties of sesame seeds and raw honey. Both raw honey and sesame seeds are considered nearly 100% safe. However, honey should never be given to a baby under the age of one year. There are some individuals with allergies to pollens who may be allergic to honey. Sesame seeds can cause constipation or even colon obstructions if eaten in excess. Enjoy finding ways to incorporate these nutritious foods into your diet.