Apple cider vinegar or ACV, is a type of vinegar made from cider or apple must and has a pale to medium amber color. Organic apple cider vinegar is antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal.
Homemade organic apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp raw sugar (I used muscavado)
- 3 small apples (core and peel included, no stem)
- filtered water to cover
How to make:
- Wash and chop your apples into medium sized pieces. Place them in a clean, rinsed and sterilized wide mouth jar.
- Mix the sugar with 1 cup of water and pour on top of the apples.
- Add more water if needed to cover the apples.
- Cover the jar with a paper towel and secure it with a band.
- Place the jar in a warm, dark place for 2-3 weeks.
- Strain out the liquid and discard the apple pieces.
- Return the liquid to the same jar and cover it again (same paper or cheesecloth).
- Return the jar to the same warm, dark place and leave it do its thing for roughly 4 to 6 weeks, stirring with a plastic or wooden spoon every few days or so.
- After the first 4 weeks, you can begin to also taste your vinegar and once it reaches an acidity you like, you can actually transfer it to a bottle with a lid and begin using it.