We already write about green onion and how to grow endless in your home.
Now we will present you something different about spring onion.
Spring onions, also known as scallions or green onions, are in fact very young onions, harvested before the bulb has had a chance to swell.
They are nutritious plants, and therefore spring onions provide a host of health benefits to us.
These healthy plants are a rich source of vitamins and minerals which aids in curing the various ailments. It is seen to have helped in reducing the harmful impacts of various diseases.
Health benefits of spring onions
1. Spring onions are good for cardiovascular health. They lower the oxidation of cholesterol and reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
2. They are very low in calories. 100 g of fresh leaves provide just 31 calories. Nonetheless, they contain many noteworthy flavonoid anti-oxidants, plant fiber, minerals, and vitamins that have proven health benefits.
3. Green onion is a support against gastrointestinal problems. It is used as an appetizer as it helps digestion.
4. Studies have shown that the sulphur compounds present in green onions help in lowering the blood sugar levels. This is achieved by increasing the levels of insulin, a hormone, which is essential for transportation of sugar in the blood to the body cells.
5. Green onions also contain small amounts of calcium and phosphorus, two important minerals for bone health.
6. Spring onions contain healthy proportion of vitamin-A, carotenes and lutein. Together, they help the body protect from lung and oral cavity cancers.
7. Quercetin is found in the pigments of onions and acts as an antioxidant, antihistamine and anti-inflammatory.
This natural chemical may protect against some chronic conditions, including asthma, allergies, heart disease,diabetes and cancer.
Both the long, slender green tops and the small white bulb are edible, and are good either raw or cooked.
Although usually enjoyed raw in salads, they’re often added to stir-fries, omelettes, and dressings.
If you can’t get hold of shallots, try using spring onions instead. When chopped, they don’t take long to soften in olive oil or butter – around a minute. Cook them over a gentle heat for best results.
Try combining them in the salad bowl with orange segments, avocados or crisp fennel slices.