What’s the secret of the new Swedish diet that’s taking the world by storm?
This diet is especially good for those who love meat and dairy. Those who’ve tried it say that it normalizes the blood sugar levels and helps you lose weight. It is very appropriate for diabetics.
The Swedish diet consists of decreased consumption of carbs and increased amounts of fat and proteins. What is also good about this diet is that you don’t need to count calories and follow some timeline. But if you want this diet to be efficient you must follow its rules about what you can and cannot eat. Another positive side of the diet is that you can eat when you’re hungry until you feel satisfied. The most important thing is to keep away from the forbidden foods and you will lose 5-10 pounds per week.
Here’s what you can eat:
- Meat – all kinds: beef, lamb, turkey, pork, game meat, chicken. Also, the meat fat is not forbidden and the chicken skin as well. If you can’t find organic or grass-fed meat, consume the regular type.
- Fish and shellfish – all types
- Eggs – organic eggs are the best but regular ones are fine as well. Boiled, fried, omelettes.
- All vegetables that grow above the ground: cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, zucchini, eggplant, olives, spinach, mushrooms, cucumber, lettuce, avocado, onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
- Natural dairy products rich in fats: Greek/Turkish yogurt, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, high fat cheeses etc. Don’t eat sweetened dairy products and pay attention to the skimmed and regular milk as they can contain high amount of milk sugar.
- Nuts – all kinds: sunflower and pumpkin seeds, almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, Indian and Brazilian nuts, etc. (within limits).
From time to time you can also eat the following items (they might slow down the weight loss a little bit).
Dry red or white wine, whisky, brandy and vodka.
Dark chocolate that is made of 70% cocoa (when you really need, eat some)
Avoid fruits as they have lots of sugar, however, you can eat some from time to time and make sure you treat it as real candy.
The following foods should be avoided:
Sodas, sweetened juices, pastry, sugars, cakes, chocolate, desserts, ice cream, muesli, muffins, granola bars and artificial sweeteners.
Grains and starch, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, French fries, chips and porridge. Wholegrain products are not that bad but should be avoided anyway. Legumes, beans and lentils as well, as they are rich in carbs.
Margarine, beer and refined oils.
You should drink:
Coffee (full fat cream is allowed)
Tea (without sweeteners)