Swollen feet is a standard problem that anyone can suffer from. It isn’t a disease in itself, however rather a symptom of an underlying problem. Often, this problem arises when fluid accumulates in the tissues, leading to swelling known as edema.
This may occur for a number of reasons, such as being overweight, standing or sitting for long intervals of time, getting old, being pregnant, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), nutritional deficiencies, lack of physical train and poor blood circulation.
An injury or surgery involving the leg, ankle or a foot may also trigger swelling in your feet.
People who have diabetes, heart issues, kidney or liver disease, and pregnant ladies are more prone to this problem.
As the swelling increases, it will possibly trigger general discomfort and people might find it difficult to walk or stand. Other signs could include pain, inflammation and redness in the feet.
Fortunately, there are many efficient suggestions and treatments to deal with swollen feet at home, so you may get back out and enjoy the world.
However, if the swelling is painful or occurs often, consult your doctor. It can be a sign of heart, kidney or liver issues that may need timely therapy.
Here are the highest 10 home treatments for swollen feet.
1. Contrast Hydrotherapy
This type of hydrotherapy, which includes each cold and warm water, is extremely effective for decreasing swelling in your feet. While the warm water helps improve circulation, cold water helps reduce swelling and inflammation.
- Fill 2 foot tubs– one with cold water and other with warm water.
- Soak your feet in the warm water for about three to four minutes.
- Instantly put your feet in the cold water for about 1 minute.
- Proceed alternating for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat a couple of times each day till you get relief.
A foot massage is likely one of the best treatments for swollen feet. It creates pressure on the affected area that helps relax sore muscles and improve circulation. It additionally encourages excess fluid drainage to reduce swelling.
- Rub some warm mustard oil or olive oil on the affected area.
- Gently massage the area for five minutes in an upward direction, rather than downward. Keep away from applying too much pressure.
- Do that a number of times a day.
It’s best to massage your feet during or after taking a shower.
Notice: If the swelling in your feet is because of being pregnant, see a therapist who makes a speciality of prenatal therapeutic massage.
3. Epsom Salt
Epsom salt works quick to scale back swelling and will help alleviate pain and discomfort, too. The magnesium sulfate in Epsom salt is well absorbed via the pores and skin and helps improve circulation and reduce swelling. It’s also relaxing for sore, tired muscle mass and even helps neutralize foot odor.
- Combine ½ cup of Epsom salt in a foot tub full of warm water.
- Soak your swollen feet in it for 10 to fifteen minutes.
- Repeat up to three times per week.
Ginger is a pure diuretic that helps treat swollen feet. It helps dilute sodium, a significant contributing factor behind swelling. As well as, its anti-inflammatory property helps cut back swelling.
- Massage your swollen feet with ginger oil when massaging a couple of times each day.
- You can also drink 2 to 3 cups of ginger tea or chew some uncooked ginger slices.
The diuretic property of dandelion helps the body metabolize additional fluids, making it an excellent treatment for swollen feet. According to a 2009 research published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, dandelion has a diuretic effect that helps deal with water retention.
It also helps regulate the sodium level in the body.
- Combine 1 teaspoon of fresh or dried dandelion leaves in a cup of hot water. Cover, steep for five minutes and strain it. Drink this natural tea 2 or 3 times a day.
- You can even take dandelion tincture or supplements, but only after consulting a doctor.
6. Lemon Water
Consuming lemon water helps flush out excess fluid and toxins from your body, which can reduce swelling in the feet and other areas of the body caused by water retention. In addition, it helps hold the body hydrated and supplies anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a cup of warm water.
- Sweeten it with a bit raw honey.
- Drink this lemon water a few times each day.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar also helps reduce swelling in your feet. Its high potassium content helps reduce fluid retention, a common cause of swelling in the feet.
- Combine equal amounts of heat water and raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Soak a towel in the solution, wring out the excess liquid and then wrap the towel round your swollen feet. Do that for 10 minutes, a couple times each day.
- Additionally, add 2 tablespoons of raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar to a glass of water. Add some raw honey and drink it twice each day.
8. Coriander Seeds
A popular Ayurvedic therapy for swollen feet is coriander seeds. The anti-inflammatory property of these seeds helps reduce swelling as well as improve circulation.
- Add 2 to 3 teaspoons of coriander seeds to 1 cup of water.
- Boil it till the amount reduces by half.
- Strain the solution, let it cool slightly and drink it.
- Repeat 2 times a day till you get relief.
Regular physical train is important for stopping swelling in your feet. Train stimulates circulation and prevents blood from pooling in your lower extremities.
- Swimming is likely one of the greatest workouts you are able to reduce swelling and relieve inflammation and pain.
- Enjoy half-hour of walking or jogging, no less than 5 days per week.
- Do some leg strengthening and stretching workouts.
- Do some yoga each day to help improve your circulation.
Magnesium deficiency in the body can also contribute to swelling in the feet due to edema. Eat foods rich in magnesium to help fight this problem.
- Eat magnesium-rich meals like dark leafy greens, nuts, seeds, fish, soybeans, avocado, bananas and dark chocolate.
- You can even take magnesium supplements, but only after consulting your doctor.
Be aware: People with heart or kidney disease should avoid taking magnesium supplements.